Monday 19 May 2014

5

Tutorial: 10 Minute Exercise Headband

Headband tute

Since taking up running again, I've had to battle with how to keep my hair out of my face now that it's too short for a ponytail.  Big, fat headbands are the solution! They're tall enough to keep all my hair from blowing forward into my face (and also cover my perennially cold ears), but thin enough to scrunch up under my hair at my neck without being bulky.  Have a lot of knits scraps? Have unruly, pesky hair?  Have ten minutes?  Let's go!

Fabric requirements: You really need fabric with lycra in it so that it will not only stretch but recover enough to stay on your head firmly.  Interlock and 100% cotton jersey are a nope.

Headband tute

On the fold, cut your fabric so that it is 24cm wide (48cm unfolded) by 17cm tall.

Headband tute

Press the raw edges towards the wrong side by 2cm.

Headband tute

Right sides facing, sew the 17cm tall raw edges together.

Headband tute

Hem the long edges that you previously pressed in step two.  I'm using a coverstitch because I'm lucky enough to have one, but you can also use a twin needle in a regular machine, or any other stretch stitch that will stretch without breaking.  That's it!

headband on

Optional but not recommended: Have a child steal it.


5 comments:

  1. I love that fabric with the sweets on! may I ask where you found it?
    Frankie
    http://www.knitwits-owls.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a sample I received from a prospective supplier! I'm hoping to have it in my shop once it's been reprinted :)

      Delete
  2. You have the yummiest knits!!! I've got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for later today that links to your tutorial:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-make-an-exercise-headband-in-10-minutes/2014/05/19/
    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great fabric! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic and simple! I'm forever getting fed up of my fringe in my face while trying to exercise. Got to make myself one of these!

    Faye | freckles-and-all.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete