Saturday 20 February 2010

30

The Sew-Along Nitty Gritty


I can now officially move the apostrophe from The Cool Girl's Club to The Cool Girls' Club because it's not just me anymore. We have heaps of members. And as a club, we need guidelines. So here's how it works.... A sew-along is basically a bunch of people who are all working on the same project at the same time. I was rather ambitiously thinking that we could work through the book, one pattern at a time, but I guess we'll need to see how the first one goes. Do not be put off by my obsessiveness.

So what do we do?
  • First off, you'll need to get the book. For my UK friends, Amazon have it £10 here. For my American pals, Amazon have it for $16.50 here. Apologies to anyone not from the UK or US, I hope I haven't offended you so much you hate me forever and still find it in your heart (and your Amazon) to join in. If you don't want to buy the book, check out the library to see if they have it or will acquire it for you.
  • I've started a Flickr group for the sew-along here. Please go and join it. Not only will it be a place for us to post our pictures but we can talk amongst ourselves about how cool we are help each other out if anyone gets stuck. I see a future where we worship at the feet of KID-MD, as she is the doyenne of making adult clothes and is mighty helpful.
  • If you have a blog, please take that nifty picture from the top of this post and gently place it in your sidebar with a link. I will love you forever if you blog about joining the sew-along because your readers are cool too and might want to participate. If you don't have a blog, print out that icon at the top, laminate it and wear it on your lapel. And tell everyone you meet about the sew-along so they can join in too. This is a good barometer of whether they are cool and should be your friends.
  • Okay, now we all make a skirt and rock it like nobody's business. And we take pictures (or borrow the ones that the newpapers take thinking we're celebrities) and post them in Flickr. Or email to me if you have an aversion to Flickr. And then we all blog about our skirts, and other people's skirts until skirts become the number one search term on Google. And then we ostracise everybody that didn't join until they cry and want to join the club too and then we let them because we're nice like that and fame hasn't gone to our heads.
So, the big question is the time scale. Let's imagine that everyone takes a week to get their book, and then a week to get measured / familiarise themselves with the book and week to get fabric and notions... How does the 20th of March sound for a completion date? It seems like an awfully long time away for me but I appreciate that other people sleep and perhaps have lives outside sewing. What do you think?

Oh, and can those of you who aren't terrified by my fascism and want to come and play regardless either leave a comment here or send an email to amanda@kitschycoo.co.uk with your relevant details (web addresses etc).

30 comments:

  1. 20th of Mach sounds doable for me so I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to join in .... but can my mum send in a note to excuse me if packing and things gets in the way?!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great!! off to buy the book, see the film, get the t-shirt - sorry make the t-shirt and become a groupie. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buying the book today!! And, wow - "doyenne of making adult clothes"! I'm speechless! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Book ordered, pic posted. May well be the last to finish as I've no time off between now and then, but I'll do my best (and theoretically a skirt is easy to do, therefore theoretically quick to do...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to participate, but I think I need to learn to operate a sewing machine first. Perhaps I will be ready for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazon'd, Flickr'd, Emailed. Now bring on the google skirt search meltdown.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I'm buying the book. I'm going to try. I want to be one of the cool kids, too. Although I am so fat that I maybe can't afford the material for a large enough skirt to go around my voluminous self, let alone post a picture of it. But I think by the 20th of March I could do something.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh this is so cool! Especially the fact you refer to a "nifty" pic. I'll send you a pic of me asap ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. cool ;) I'm off to buy the book and get flickred and post the link...so happy to be part of "THE Club"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Huh, I guess I don't have a life outside of sewing because the 20th seems sooo far away.
    Have the book already and joined the Flickr group. I'm ready.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm such a masochist that I'm in. Posted about it and about to purchase that bad boy...

    Eeek!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in. Book bought, group blogged, ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm in! Though may also be last to finish, but you won me over with the cool girl's club. I can't resist a club, especially if there's badges

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in. Off to order the book and blog about it. I'll have to buy some new fabric too - what a shame!! Fancy joining in my flower swap to keep you busy til the 20th? I've got an odd number of people and its stressing me out! (no worries if not tho!!) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never make anything for me and as it's my birthday soon have ordered said book and can't wait for it to arrive, not so sure if am looking forward to actually knowing what my waist/thighs/upper arms measure but beautifully fitting clothes (am I being too ambitious) will make me look streamlined and beautiful!?
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm joining! Woohoo!! Although I'm breaking all the rules and starting with the pants. DOn't kick me out. ;) I'll draft the skirt too this week though, I'm less worried about it since my Sew What Skirts skirt draft is darn near perfect (i.e. I have a fall back!)

    Hey, I can be OCD and work my way through the entire book too. If you wanna.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm in! Just ordered the book and can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm in! Just ordered the book and can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh go on then I'm in ;) I'm going to use a completely mechanical 1930s sewing machine too. Check my bad self.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have to join, I just can't resist, even though I know I really pushed for time. I've bought the book - now I am going to tackle my Flickr account which won't let me sign in for some reason!
    Cool idea btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great idea - count me in!

    Of course, with my attention to deadlines, I expect to do the measuring, cutting, sewing and photographing on the evening of March 19th...

    ReplyDelete
  23. hi amanda! i just wanted to let you all know that i'm here if you need me, and i'll be rooting for all of you! there's also a flickr group for the book if anyone wants to submit pics there too:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/design-it-yourself/ have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I am in too, my book arrive today from Amazon - woohoo

    ReplyDelete
  25. the book looks fab but I don't think I'm good enough at sewing yet to try to tackle it, but I will add the book to my wish list.

    *sits in the corner of The Geeky Girls that are a Disaster at Sewing Club*

    ReplyDelete
  26. ok, so i finally caved and ordered the book! my mum will bring it out to me in hong kong when she visits next week, so that's going to be my excuse for finishing late! this is turning into a truly global sew-along!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Am hugely late with this - but definitely in.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Am I too late to join?
    I'm ordering the book tomorrow :D
    I want to be a Cool Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'd love to join in. I have the book and have read it, but I haven't actually tried using it. Am I too late?

    ReplyDelete