Thursday 9 May 2013

2

New Kid on the Block: Crafty Magazine


I was recently sent a copy of issue two of the new UK magazine, Crafty, for review and wanted to share my thoughts.  There have been loads of new magazines springing up over the last couple of years, be they general multi-craft journals or more specific niche publications for sewing, knitting, crochet. So what sets Crafty apart?


Overall, I'm pretty impressed.  There is a wide array of projects included from the Leichtenstein cross-stitch and clasp clutches seen on the cover, the kitschy cowboy knitted bag, bottle garden, multi-media postcards, stamp pendants and typographical crocheted stool seen in the collage above, and others like knitted plastic bags, five projects using scarves and upcycled tart pan displays.  Not being a knitter or crocheter myself, there are some projects that are of less relevance to me personally but I can still doff my cap in appreciation of their application.   The two projects I am most likely to actually do:
I love the wall decal furniture upcycle and could totally see this working out well when I redecorate the kids' room.  The clutch purse includes three different potential projects (two sewn and one knit) and the frame was included with this issue.  Outside of projects, there are regular features like a news and trends section, a save the date calendar (covering fairs / concerts / festivals), book reviews, and walk-through of a place to visit (this issue is Maltby Street Market).  Finally, there are helpful features on taking good product shots and information on how to set up a pop-up shop.   Add that to a smattering of interviews of and columns by established  independant designers, and  I surmise that the demographic Crafty is wooing are independant designers (or those considering it) and their aficionados.  

The oeuvre of knitwear designer Gary Kennedy, taken from his interview

I think the picture above sums up the general aesthetic I got from Crafty; fun, irreverant, and modern but definitely on the hipster / geek side of the craft spectrum rather than the shabby chic / twee side.  Which suits me just fine, as that's the side I fall on. 

2 comments:

  1. It's like Pinterest in print. Where do I get one from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dig It. I hope further stance on irreverent, hip/geek side of the craft spectrum make their mark. it has so much more umph to it. I wonder if the U.S. has a version of this?

    ReplyDelete