Monday 5 April 2010

14

Opening the door and letting the Princess in

Every day that Maia is at the childminder's, she comes home wearing a costume. A princess, a fairy, a ballerina...

I was World's Biggest Tomboy when I was growing up, and assumed that as my daughter she would be the same. I was confident I could hold the Princess at bay at least until she went to school. I underestimated my opponent. The lure of the Princess is too strong; resistance is futile. And if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

I made this pink and turquoise pettiskirt for her to wear on Easter. There are five layers: netting, tulle, netting, tulle, satin underskirt (which prevents her legs from getting jagged by the tulle). Each layer is two tiers, 50 inches and 100 inches in circumference respectively, and they are all attached to a spotty waistband. So, math fans, that's 600 inches of gathering between all the skirts.

You can see the turquoise satin peeking out at the top, and it can be rolled down to make the tutu a bit shorter.

And now for my public apology. I have discouraged others from buying pettiskirts. I've gone on the record and said without prevaricating: I don't like tutus on toddlers. I'm sorry, I was wrong. It turns out that I really like tutus on toddlers. It's made of cute.

14 comments:

  1. Don't tell my daughters, but I was a tomboy & I'm secretly disappointed that they aren't too.

    DD1 was a tomboy until she started nursery at 3, realised the other girls wore pink & sparkles & she ws lost to the cause :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bloody Walt Disney! Its princess central here. Izzy was obsessed by trains until she hit 3 and now its pink sparkly princess things every time. There is NO escape!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After telling me not to buy Erica a tutu!! ;)

    I jest, Maia looks so thrilled with it. Very cute work, Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was somewhere in between - I liked playing football and climbing trees but while wearing pink and sparkles. And I love tutu's. Please tell me you are going to start making them to sell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cute!!
    she will grow out of pink and princesses soon enough :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a seriously awesome mommy. I think the princess thing must come with the chromosomes. Mine's not even two yet and all she wants is pink, frilly and printed with the little mermaid or Cinderella. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one cute tutu. All that work was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. there really is no escaping the Princess if that's what they're into...what an AWESOME tutu!!! nice job :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So so so adorable! I think we're headed this way, too, if Rylee's not-even-two-years-old obsession with purses, shoes and hats is any indication.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know whether relinquishing to tutus is better or worse than me acknowledging Munchkin's Peppa Pig addiction and buying a Peppa Pig hat. And scarf. And wellie boots. And socks......
    Good tutu skillz though :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! Did you know pink was considered to be a boy's colour till the 40s? Amazing what you can learn from QI! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute tutu. At almost 5, Kathryn has admitted that she actually likes other colours than pink. You cannot believe how happy this makes me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I girl should have a tutu, and if I have a little girl then she would be sick of me making tutu's, great colours, looks perfect wiht the cardi. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving the tutu, I think you've tamed the princess with the turquoise.

    I was a total tomboy and my brother wore dresses more than I did when we were kids. 'Tis true he wore one of my unworn dresses to nursery for a week at 2 years old!

    Can't help but notice a fab pair of pumps on Maia's feet do you mind me asking where they are from?

    ReplyDelete