For the last couple of weeks I've been working almost exclusively on improving the kids' room. At three and a half, I decided it was long-overdue to move Maia into a proper bed (even if she didn't share my sentiments). The problem was that the room couldn't house all their toys, four dressers of clothes, a bookcase and two single beds. Major downsizing of existing things ensued. Then major upsizing of new things ensued.
Most notably: bunk beds. Why didn't anyone tell me how big they are?
Behind the Artist Formerly Known as Maia is the resurrected Uncomfy Couch, named thus for obvious reasons. When I removed the cover to make a new one, it became clear why: rather than proper upholstery webbing there were very thin plastic ties that had cheese-wired straight through the foam. My anticipated Quick and Dirty couch resurrection became a Slow and Stabby one as I not only had to make a new cover but also re-string and re-foamed it. The cushions you are au fait with.
I made new light jersey curtains to allow more light than the previous plain red ones.
One of the toys I removed for floor space was an blackboard easel; instead I have painted a section of the wall with blackboard paint for drawing and practising their writing and math. It is 'magic' blackboard paint, but more on that another day...
Although I truly love my kids' (superlative) artwork, I did not love they way they stuck it all over every available surface. Instead, I've strung a line along the ceiling and clothes-pegged up my favourites.
Please note the safety bar above the safety bar on the top bunk; he is still determined to fall out.
My final act of Dutiful Mum was to make them matching duvet covers today with cowprint to one side and snuggly red flannel to the other . I'm still not done completely with my plans, but I'm certainly fed up of working on it so the smaller things are going to have to wait until I've a) made more money to fund it b) stabilised my mood. In other words, they might never get done.