Thursday 15 May 2014

15

Frozen Goes Casual: The Anna Skater

Anna birthday dress

It was the girl's birthday yesterday, can you guess how old she is (clue above)?  How times flies / I can't believe it / where's my baby ad infinitum.

Anna birthday dress

She's been bitten by the ubiquitous Frozen bug so I wanted to make her an Anna dress.  She probably would've broken her No Wovens rule for a more accurate replica,  but I wanted to make one that wasn't too costumey, and fit in with her everyday play-friendly wardrobe.

Anna birthday dress

As you can probably tell from the silhouette (and my previous form for hacking my patterns rather than starting from scratch), I used my skater pattern as a starting point.

Anna birthday dress

I raised the neck and then split it so it looks like there's an undershirt with a pinafore over the top- not so, it's a single bodice!

Anna birthday dress

I found some templates for the bodice design and combined, resketched, and scaled it so it would be a good fit.  Then I ironed Heat n' Bond onto different coloured jerseys, cut them out, positioned and ironed them into place, and then stitched them on.  Much easier (for me) than stencilling, and provides a nice texture.

Anna birthday dress

Rather than appliqué the skirt in the same manner, I added a band of fuchsia at the bottom instead of a hem so it ties in with the overall colour scheme and adds a bit of length.  The overall effect is 'Come at me, yo'.

Anna birthday dress

I'm so, so grateful for this little big girl in my life.  She so gracious and enthusiastic it's an absolute joy to make her happy.



15 comments:

  1. happy belated birthday to your sweet daughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best Anna dress I've seen! I love it. I much prefer casual so this is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very practical and totes gorg :) The Elsa ice dress I made by battling with cheap satin and cobwebby organdie complete with 1.5m train is proving difficult to wear even with the utmost dedication from Munchkin...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just LOVE this—so comfy and yet very clearly an Anna dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fabulous! Happy Birthday to your little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I want to copy it immediately! (Just like your Wonder Woman Ava/Lady Skater mashup....)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You seriously have the best ideas. I am working out how to do a coranation Anna dress for my little one, using the Skater as a base. This is after the amazing Wonder Woman dress I ripped off from you for my oldest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a fabulous idea! So much more wearable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a new reader what is the no woven fabrics rule? thankyou x
    Frankie
    http://www.knitwits-owls.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not really a rule as such, just that she really dislikes wearing wovens! It's been a couple of years since she's worn wovens for anything other than outerwear or school uniforms :)

      Delete
  10. Awesome dress! (Although I did just have to google Frozen, mine is so Octonauts obsessed that it hasn't crossed our paths yet!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is hands down the best Frozen dress i've seen!!! Ive been thinking of ways to tone down the poofy princess look and make it more comfy casual but you still know what it is. This is awesome! Happy Birthday big girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lucky girl. This dress is so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The dress is wonderful, Amanda! I've been holding off on commenting until I could be sure no little girls were around. If they caught sight of the dress, they'd give me no rest until I made them each one.;) Happy (way belated) Birthday, Maia!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just watched that video. It made me smile and giggle. Haha adorable!

    ReplyDelete