Friday 4 June 2010

17

Restyling the Mirabelle dress

Now that I've read Fit For Real People, I feel a bit more confident about adjusting the fit of my existing clothes. Even the existing clothes that I made in the first place! Remember my very first tunic?

The sun was out yesterday and I had a hot date with my friend Ruth visiting from Ireland. With the kids out of the house for most of the day I spent an unfeasible amount of time making adjustments. Pinning, basting, trying on, sewing Scandinavian-style (i.e. sans clothing), trying on again, pinning, basting, etc. I still don't have the confidence to put darts in, but I did some serious side seam shaping. See the basting lines?

mid alteration

I took it in to the point of hard-to-pull-on-over-my-head. But what a difference! The bulkiness under the bust before alterations irked me:

The original

And after I was done?

Altered tunic

I feel much happier in it. More uncomfortable perhaps because I have to watch my posture, but happier none-the-less!

17 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda,
    I think your new look tunic looks fab, the tie at the front makes it really flattering. You have inspired me!
    x Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice!! It looks really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you look fantastic in it. I love the cut and the fabric. Great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hot

    (you always have chinese spam links by the time I comment)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great adjustment, Gok would be proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sexy chick. Yes you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's an amazing transformation. Am reading (slowly) my copy and am so cross with myself for not doing so before!

    My verification word is coatight which seems appropriate to me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done! Your dress looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the changes you have made. I really need to get myself a book..I am always amazed at the difference in fit when people understand the particular shape of their body. I just know that most things don't fit me well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great change you made, the dress fits you beautifully now. You look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow! I liked it before, now i LOVE IT! You could always put a side zipper in to give you room getting in and out of it, As always, you look beautiful in it. x K

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. [Sorry, wrong account... :-)]

    That's brilliant - you really have transformed it! You look great in it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is amazing!! I love the tie too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a difference, that looks great with the adjustments.

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  16. Huge difference - I thought it was cute in the first picture, but rrrrowwww! in the second picture - sexy!

    ReplyDelete