Thursday 15 March 2012

12

Jesus Christ (she's a) Superstar Dress

appletree dress 20
Behold the majesty of this girl.

After a trip to our regular dentist, a course of antibiotics, and an abscess that refused to completely go away, Maia and I had a trip up to the Pediatric Dental Institute yesterday for a thorough investigation.

appletree dress 10

They had a good root around, but there was nothing for it- the tooth had to go. She endured forty-five minutes of hands in her mouth, four shots of Novocaine, anxiety that made her knees curl to her chest and tears leak from her eyes, but still she was brave enough to lie still and let them pull it. The dentists, hygienists, myself, bystanders, and angels on high collectively marvelled at this small wonder.

appletree dress 4

Second prize for Awesome People of the Day must be awarded to the dentist / hygientist tag team. They had a spiel so engaging and convincing that by the end I almost wanted them to pull my teeth out. Are you reading this, stoic dentist? Why do I never get to suction my own saliva out and push all the buttons to control my chair? When I close my eyes tight and listen really carefully, why don't you make secret snoring sounds so I think my teeth have gone to sleep? After seeing my daughter clap with delight and announce, 'I heard them, I heard them, they're sleeping!' despite just having needles jabbed into her gums convinces me that your approach is all wrong.

appletree dress 18

So to the victor goes the spoils. Six stickers from the dentist, two quid from the Tooth Fairy, and a magazine and dress from Mum. I would say that she has more dresses than she can shake a stick at now, but she is clearly disproving this idiom above.

12 comments:

  1. So glad she had a 'good' time at the dentist. Those at the institute are much better trained, loving the bit about sleeping teeth. Fantastic frock too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It crossed my mind that I should leave her there to be raised by the dentist and hygienist, as not only do they have medical expertise but they are much better with children than I am.

      Delete
  2. Bless her, she's a trooper. Has that lovely tattoo not washed off yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Maia! I had a wisdom tooth out on Wednesday and it sounds like she was far braver than I was :-) what a star

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what bravery. I wish my dentist would make secret snoring noises to show my teeth had gone to sleep too, that's inspired! Most importantly, how are you?! If there's anything guaranteed to make me bawl my head off, it's my kids in pain but being brave. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was harrowing! I had to put a brave face on so she wouldn't get more scared, but it wasn't easy...

      Delete
  5. Wow, what a brave girl (and you too). Big hugs to Maia, and the secret to glitter tattoo removal is (at least for my girl): cover it with a warm wet face cloth for about 10 minutes... then scrub. Only works with child's cooperation though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww brave Maia and you!! I have a completely irrational fear of the dentist. I would rather go through childbirth. In fact today I have just told dh that he has to take the kids to the dentist because I can't do it and don't want my fear passed on to them. Urgh! Well done girls. You both deserve huge rewards!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the dress, and the dentist story - well done for bravery all around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a little superstar she is! Wow - the dentist sounds wonderful. I love the dress and those shoes are absolutely fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Im Zoe, LOVE your blog! Loved the tale of the Dentist and love the dress! Having only learnt to sew 4 (almost) months ago, your site was one I looked to for tutorials and helped me soooo much! So thank you!

    ReplyDelete