Monday 16 November 2009

12

Interchangable mei tai

What a clever lot you are for guessing this was a mei tai!


Our friends that live in Paradise had a wee baby girl last week. I was going to make her some clothes but I remember when I had my first that you get so many clothes as gifts that some things are only worn once before outgrowing. So I was racking my brain for something that would last them a long time and was a bit special.


Just look. Four years old and still happy to be carried. I apologise for the quality of the pictures, Jamie took the one of the front carrying and Maia took the picture of back carrying. Yes, I did let my two year old use the camera. Yes, I will be paying the price for that decision. I read 6426 tutorials for making a mei tai before I started and mashed them all together for my version. The one feature that I really liked was a window so you could change the panels all the time. I've included some testosteroney ones so hopefully Dad will get in on the babywearing.


The inserts are double sided so you can just flip them around. I went a bit nuts so there's eight different inserts. But Mum is crafty too so she can make heaps more.


It took an surprisingly long time to make, mostly because of the straps which are a massive 75 inches long and needed ironed, stitched, padded, stitched, stitched, stitched. Also, I hadn't noticed that Steven had set the iron to Evil and it left some black residue after I had quadruple safety stitched the straps to the body. Rather than unpick a bajillion stitches I just cut another panel and sewed it on top so the body is even more sturdy. Anyone guess what I used for padding? Thinsulate. I'm gonna use it for everything. Jamie has started referring to the huge roll of Thinsulate as 'my friend'. So true.

12 comments:

  1. It's awesome! And yes, even the couple of toy ones I've made were shitloads of work. But it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously impressive!I've been hankering for one of these for the wee one, the sling doesn't cut it now she's bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I mention that I love you? That looks great, and I love that it has a window!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so fabulous!! The window is super cool. That is going to be one happy new momma!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great present. Please will you be my friend too?!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That looks really useful - and I'm stunned and impressed you can lift Jamie on your back without adult assistance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is fab!! I love mei tais - I'm in awe of a mei tai with changeable panels. My partner would approve too - rather than me buying far too many to have different ones for different days. What a brilliant present. Lucky friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well impressed - and it's clearly well made to take the weight of a 4 year old! Super gift idea too.

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is just awesome , I am sure your friend will be thrilled. Much better than those mothercare things i had for my boys

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the best thing I have ever seen! Now I just need a wee one to put in it... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh you always make me laugh - iron set to evil?!?!?

    love the carrier, love the panels - I had my babies way too early, there was nothing fab like this then, it was mothercare bog standard or nothign.

    ReplyDelete