Sunday 24 May 2009

12

Smock top in action

I managed to get outside for some pics yesterday and (if I do say so myself), I'm really pleased with how it looks on!

I think it's slightly wider than it needs to be in the shoulders / neckline, so I will probably add some length to the body to make this the 3T / 4T size.

The bodice and sleeves are very gathered so it's nice and flouncy. I'm hoping to offer four different sleeve options: sleeveless, butterfly sleeves, short sleeves and long sleeves. The short and long sleeves could also be elasticated at the hem. What do you think... is it too much choice for a single pattern or a bonus to have so many options?

I designed it with a wee notch at the back, as it was important to me that it not have any buttons or closures required to get it over the head. In the end it was unnecessary because the neckline is generous enough, but it does look quite nice (and would look nice in the front too methinks). So, should I keep it?

And finally, anyone have any ideas on what should I call it?!

12 comments:

  1. It looks so great on. Love the fit. It's quite retro looking. How about "Retro peasant top"? Yes to the notch even though you say it's unnecessary. I don't understand about the elasticated hem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nicky! By elasticated hem I mean a channel at the hem with elastic in it (like a peasant top) rather than this one that was just left full :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lots of options in a pattern! So much easier to make it your own that way. I also think the notch is a cute touch, and would look cute in the front as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of having options but isn't that vast amounts of work for you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. how about Artsy Smartsy? I say no to the elastic hem, but I like the notch. Cute shirt! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks beautiful on her xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks fantastic in action - and would match a skirt I'm planning for Kathryn. The notch is a nice touch, and four looks for one pattern? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the notch but it might scare me....I guess 'scarey notched yoker' would be a rubbish name? All the options I think, incuding n-notch for wimps. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the idea of many sleeve options, make it suitable for all seasons then.
    Love the notch too, would look great on the front too.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. cool top, like the idea of a notch on the front too. your kids are soooo cute. not sure i can come up with any decent names.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks gorgeous, I'd go for no elastic and no little v thingybobby. Name? How about,'it's hip to be square'?

    ReplyDelete