Tuesday 22 September 2009

12

Feeling perverse

Firstly, thank you all for your advice, comments and votes as to whether I should do the Country Living show. I really appreciate you all taking the time to help! I really, really want to do it in my heart but I've been looking at it objectively over the weekend and have some interesting conclusions. Well, interesting-to-me conclusions:
  • In the month since coming back from the States, I've sold more than seventy patterns, but less than ten garments. By that rationale, I am more in demand as a designer than a maker. I have patterns up to 7Y/8Y in testing, and a bunch of new designs that I haven't had a chance to put on paper yet. Given that I only have to do the work on patterns once and then they take care of themselves, the best use of my time is to be developing more patterns.

  • I was caught out big time this summer when I used up almost all of my fabric making things in specific styles / sizes that didn't sell at the terrible fairs. No more fabric, too much inventory, loss of flexibility to make things to order. For example, I have enough of a specific fabric for two coats and, under pressure for inventory, use it to make a jacket in 18m/2T and 3T/4T. What if someone wants a bigger size or different style? Not only can I not do that, but if those coats don't sell I have neither the flexibility nor the sale. This will be a problem for me until I start buying fewer designs of fabric, but in greater quantities.

  • In my desperation to 'make enough stuff' for the fair, after finishing something I've actually caught myself thinking, 'I hope no one wants to buy this' because it would take away from my inventory. That's perverse thinking. Likewise, I'm getting emails everyday from people wanting me to make things for them, but I've been thinking I shouldn't because I need to make things for the fair. Again, perverse thinking... turning away actual business now for the prospect of business later.
I know that I'm turning down a chance to be uber-successful but as Emma asked, am I ready to be more busy than I am now? Things will be a lot clearer next year, Jamie will be at school and Maia at nursery and I'll have a full year of planning behind me. And the decision not to do the fair has nothing to do with this:

12 comments:

  1. This is a hard call ... you will know what is right for you. Good luck! Have a great week.
    TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you have to make decisions NOT to do things. It does feel strange but now you've done it I bet you'll be saying no to a lot more things.....and yes to the right things. Love your site by the way, we should swap blog articles sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but the books aren't in the right order! fix them now please!!!!.. huh? what OCD tendancies?

    it sounds like a good plan.. and not just because I want you to make a hoodie for the boy.. or because of lovely books about a certain Viking Vamp... ahem anyway glad you have thought about it.. and its great that your patterns are selling so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you made the best decision for you - there will be future fairs that will come at a better time for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's such sensible thinking. I laughed out loud when you said "I hope no one wants to buy this because it would take away from my inventory". I have thought exactly that. Madness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. smart woman! I didn't leave a comment on your original post asking for opinions about whether to do the fair or not...I didn't want to be a downer by saying that I didn't think you should...but I did vote in your poll...Fairs are just so iffy.From what I have observed from Etsy, patterns are the way to go...patterns, giving classes, basically selling information - that's the way to make a little money...sewing actual garments is nice but because of the mass produced competition we will never be able to charge a price that would make it truly worth our while. Amanda, your patterns are really good...I recommend them to my sewing students and to anyone who asks about a garment that I have made from one. You are a very talented designer and most importantly a good and caring mom...so, good for you for choosing to work in a way that is good for you and not making you and your life crazy. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, and I need to check out that book series...a Viking Vamp?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you put it like that it does sound like your time would be better spent developing your
    patterns and doing custom orders. Making stuff for fairs does tend to take the joy out of sewing I think although the buzz if you sell lots is great! I really should be making stuff for my xmas fairs but am actually enjoying making new stuff for my present challenge. Can be a bit more creative. Whatever you choose will be right for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What bloody good sense- you sound like a real live grown up business woman- very scarey! It's a good thing to be able to assess yourself and your business- and even better to leave time for 'real' life. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clever thinking, makes perfect sense.

    ReplyDelete
  11. good points - and I must admit to looking forward to buying more patterns... plus I agree with Apryl, please re-order them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. glad you've come to a decision you're happy with :-)

    ReplyDelete